Pando - The Single Largest Living Organism on Earth
Pando or The Trembling Giant is an enormous grove of Quaking Aspen that is an entire forest out of a single organism. This colony of a single male Quaking Aspen is located in the Fishlake National Forest in Utah, in the US. Each of 47,000 or so trees in the grove are genetically identical and has been determined to be part of a single living organism all sharing a single massive underground root system. Pando is truly massive – it covers an area of 43 hectares, weighs 6,000 tons and is more than 80,000 years old.
The Sociological Cinema (via trimichaelceratops)
There was actually research that was done that found that women who used an “I have a boyfriend/husband” excuse to reject unwanted sexual attention and harassment by their bosses were more likely to be left alone than those who used any other excuse (including “I’m not interested”)
Suu Kyi was held as a political prisoner for like 20 years for criticizing her government
I’m going to throw up
I voted for gaga constantly whenever this popped up on my dash….in my opinion Gaga is more influential. Sure what ASSK did is amazing, but it doesn’t influence nearly as many people as gaga. She has helped millions accept themselves. It’s no “small group”. It’s huge.
SHE BROUGHT DEMOCRACY TO A NATION OF 60 MILLON PEOPLE
i hate everyone
i want to throw someone through a window
Please be trolling.
Yeah so Lady Gaga is actually winning by 2% now
Remember, you can vote more than once.
Down to just a 1% lead now. VOTE SUU KYI
A comprehensive list of reasons why Lady Gaga sucks and should not receive your vote:
are you fucking kidding me????
LADY GAGA BEATING SUU KYI
Lady Gaga is at 51%
what the fucking fuck
Once again families are coping with how to explain tragic and scary news events to their children. This time the news is in regards to two explosions that occurred near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. For those living in the affected areas, these are particularly stressful and anxious times. These events shake our very foundation, as our sense of security erodes with each incident. In times such as these, it is important to reassure your child that you, their teachers, law enforcers, and members of their community are doing everything possible to keep them safe from harm. Children are resilient and can use coping strategies to help them deal with their fears. As a caregiver, you know your child best and can tailor your communication about these news events in an age-appropriate and sensitive manner.
Here are some tips to help you and your children cope with frightening events:
* As parents and caregivers, it is important to first calm your own fears before talking with your child. Children will first react to your level of fear and anxiety. To help you plan what you will say to your child, talk to friends, neighbors, and your child’s teacher to get their advice. Please take care of yourself by limiting your television viewing and seeking comfort from your family and community.
* Be available and provide physical comfort. In fearful times, children need to be reassured that their parents and caretakers have their family life under control and are comforted by having their loved ones physically close to them. This family time reassures them that they and the whole family are safe. Hugs and special comfort items also help them to cope with their fears.
* Try to keep a normal routine. Children will be less anxious if life is as stable and predictable as possible. To the degree possible, stick to your usual schedules and routines.
* Avoid watching television coverage. Older children who know what is happening are often traumatized by the ongoing news coverage. For the younger children, they may interpret the ongoing news coverage of an event to mean that it’s actually happening over and over and possibly occurring in their neighborhood.
* Listen and allow your child to ask questions. Create an atmosphere during together time with your child to allow him or her to freely express his or her thoughts and concerns. Once you have an idea of the source of fear or anxiety, you can have an open dialogue with your child.
Coping with Emotions
* Help your child deal with frightening times by discussing activities you can do together to feel better (e.g. drawing pictures, writing letters, reading, playing games). Resilient children learn that although they might feel sad, angry, or anxious, these emotions will change. They will not always feel this way and there are things they can do to feel better.
* Children need to know that it’s okay to express their feelings in their way. Your child may want to talk about his or her emotions openly or may prefer drawing pictures, writing stories, or taking comfort by reading books, listening to music or playing games.
* Empowering your child with a sense of control of his or her life is also beneficial to coping with this situation. Involve your child in decision making about activities the family can do together, and for older children, discuss strategies for maintaining their activities while being mindful of their safety.
Dove hired a forensic artist to draw how women see themselves versus how others see them - the results are moving.
EEEEW I HATE THIS AND HATE DOVE REAL BEAUTY CAMPAIGNS!
First, I do see the ~benefits of this campaign. Women do have really fucked up skewed images of themselves and we are forever being told what our good features are and what we should be really ashamed of and disgusted by….like that protruding chin you ugly beast!! And freckles? Thanks Patriarchy and White Eurocentric beauty standards!! It’s wicked that these women were able to see these two images and hopefully they’re able to start a journey of self love from it. Cool you’re not as fat and frizzy as you thought?
Fuck beauty being where our worth and happiness lies, fuck the idea that we can ~*forgive*~ ourselves for our flaws and that this real beauty campaign advocates for a heirarchy of facial features?? no your chin doesn’t protrude, that’d be gross…it’s thin and CUTE! Sadder and fatter?? BARF ALL OVER. Also wicked use of men in this campaign…uhhhhhh. Beauty is NOT critical to your happiness, respect and body autonomy and full destruction of the patriarchy might be though
I wouldn’t hate that Dove thinks they can capitalize on body acceptance to peddle their fucking bodywash if they weren’t constantly doing it so wrong
- Explosions disrupt Boston Marathon, one of the oldest races in the world, and one of the most important. (via think-progress)
25 brief, delicious year.(From The Atlantic)
I was born in ‘85. Interesting to see just how fast things have changed.
Okay, cool graphic. But can we stop the bullshit discussions about how this is because people are too lazy to take care of their bodies? Can we finally address the ACTUAL root causes of this, like poverty (causing people to have no money for fresh foods, and NO TIME to prepare it because working three jobs is necessary just to pay the rent), food deserts (no access to healthy food), and lack of education (no, not that people think a Big Mac is healthy, but that they literally do not know how to cook and store food, because that’s something parents often teach and they have to time to do so - see above)?
Can we talk about how processed food is considerably cheaper and INFINITELY more convenient for working people than fresh food? Can we talk about how most agricultural subsidies underwrite the cost of processed food? Can we talk about the way physical education is being cut from schools all over the countries, and many after-school sports are making the transition from free for all to pay-to-play? Can we talk about how free of charge safe places for children (and adults) to exercise are more and more scarce, especially in urban areas?
Can we talk about how BMI, the formula used to measure “obesity rates,” is patently unscientific and absurd? And for the love of all that is good in the world, can we finally talk about how you can be healthy and obese at the same time?
No, of course not. Because then we’d have to stop shaming people for their bodies - fuck off, Atlantic.
^^ I was waiting for good commentary on this before I reblogged. Thank you.
continuing with our convo from yesterday
Oh dear god. Justin Bieber was in Holland yesterday. He went to the Anne Frank house and you want to know what he wrote into the guestbook?
”Truly inspiring to be able to come here. Anne was a great girl. Hopefully she would have been a belieber.”
And this, my lovely followers, is why I have 0% respect for Justin Bieber.
he’s such a little douchebro i hate him